Grace Polaris Church is the 54-year story of people following a faithful God.
Grace Polaris Church is a member of the Charis Fellowship
Thepurchase of two lots on Worthington-Galena Road (and an option on a third) in May 1965. Total acreage was 1.95 acres.
- Groundbreaking for a new church building on April 3, 1966.
- Completion of the new building in October 1966.
- Average attendance on a Sunday morning in 1968: 300 people.
- On January 21,
1968Pastor Dave Hocking resigned to accept leadershipof the First Brethren Church, Long Beach, California. His last sermon was March 24, 1968.
- On March 10,
1968a call was extended to James Custer to be the pastor. He accepted, preaching his first sermon on May 19, 1968.
- Continued growth encouraged the construction of a new building with a full basement of classrooms for Sunday school and a Christian day school. The auditorium would seat 1,050.
- The first services in the new building were held April 3, 1970. Attendance for Easter morning services, April 18,
1970was 1,065, while Sunday school recorded 525.
- The Grace Brethren Christian School began in the basement of the Administration Center in 1973. The same year, 6.67 acres was purchased across the road for a school building.
- The church continued to grow at a rapid pace. It was necessary to have three Sunday morning services, plus the Sunday evening service. By 1980 total membership was 1,859. Sunday attendance averaged 2,100.
- In the fall of
1979the church purchased 90 acres of land located at the southwest corner of Lazelle Road and Worthington-Galena Road to construct a new sanctuary. The groundbreaking service for the new Worship Center was held Sunday, September 5, 1982.
- The first Sunday morning service in the Worship Center was October 30,
1983with 3,005 attending.
- The number of Sunday morning worship services was doubled in June 1989 with the addition of two services at the Administration Center auditorium (Grace South).
- The R. Fred Hogue Family Center, behind the Worship Center, was opened September 8, 1996.
- On July 4,
1999the Sunday morning ministries were integrated into a unified congregation at the Worship Center.
- The DeArmey Discipleship Center, next to the Family Center, was dedicated January 16,
2000during morning services.
- In 1991 we planted a church called the Grace Brethren Church of Powell, while in 2001 we planted the Grace Brethren Church of Upper Arlington.
- In 2005 we averaged approximately 2,500 people in two Sunday morning services.
- During 2006 we met at one time in The Gathering on Sunday morning.
- Pastor Dave Plaster was installed as our senior pastor on September 30, 2007.
- On July 20,
2008we dedicated the Custer Family Early Childhood Center.
- In March 2010 after a brief illness, Pastor Dave Plaster passed away at the age of 60.
- On August 28,
2011Pastor Mike Yoder was installed as our new lead pastor.